Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb

* * *

Let me tell you what I like about this book in no particular order and maybe...maybe I could convince you to reminisce the moments with rapture in death.

HUMOR

I like Peabody so much she cracks me up in this novel. Peabody who is now officially transferred to the homicide division has few funny shares of her own. I remember the part when she came in aboard Roarke’s jet pressed and polished but then quickly spoils her effect with her jaw hanging open as she swiveled her head right and left in an attempt to see everything at once. The picture is so vibrant I feel watching her up close and personal. Then there’s that part when Peabody sees double after the bomb exploded. I think it was the way Peabody said it that makes me laugh. Also when Feeney finds the disc which he seals the work log for your eyes only because it contains explicit speculations about Eve in a sexual manner, do you remember what Peabody said after that? She asked if there was anything on the disc that mentions about her. Creepy but cute isn’t she?

INTELLIGENCE

I enjoy the heated dialogue between Dr. Mira who favors psychology and Reeanna for physiology. Here the topic on human brain’s complicated organ presents two different beliefs. According to the conversation, physiology sees us coded in the womb that we are, what we are born. The genetic code is stamped on us in the moment of conception. It can be altered to a certain extent but the basis of what we are cannot be changed. Psychology on the other hand take into account the environment, free will, the basic human drive to better oneself. That a child raised in privilege despite its background at birth would reflect that upbringing, that education. That the emotional nest and the basic human drive to better oneself cannot be discounted.

Robb’s touch on futuristic technology never ceases to amaze me. Here she promotes – technology can create beauty and youth, but passion and greed can destroy them. The discussions went technically deep once the topic on the anatomy of the brain was compared to a computer. The plot starts when three apparent suicides occur: a brilliant engineer, an infamous lawyer, and a controversial politician with three strangers nothing in common – and no obvious reasons for killing themselves. Autopsies revealed small burns on the brains of the victims which lead to Lieutenant Dallas’ investigation between genetic abnormality and a high-tech method of murder.

THRILL

Who wouldn’t be so thrilled when in just few chapters’ in a background view telling us that the game had just begun, without revealing the source of the voice? It was enough for me to continue reading.


ROMANCE

Same with Robb’s other novels I couldn’t continue to deny the spice of romance – intimately and passionately phrased with emotions. I wonder what inspires her to come up with such creative imaginations and craftsmanship. There should definitely a PG advisory marked from beginning to end on J.D. Robb's novels.

In contrary, after reading this 4th book in the series I find certain patterns in the plot where the ending is quickly put together while the motivation behind killing because "it can be done easily" is too light for my taste. Nevertheless, I find the novel entertaining and worthy of my time, enough to finish reading in two nights. Robb’s descriptions of each character, the details and her word selections are mostly the keys to awaken my senses - sufficient to drive me into the “I can’t put it down” type of mood.

If I haven’t convinced you yet to pick up Robb’s “In Death” series, I suggest you visit Lori’s review of this book. It also got 4 1/2 stars in Amazon's website - that might help you consider giving yourself a chance to enjoy a trilling adventure with Robb and with Christine's challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Awwww. Aren't you sweet? I'm so glad that you're enjoying the series. I can't believe it took me so long to pick itu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori. I'm waiting for your next review of the In Death ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And believe it or not - they keep getting better!!! The relationship between Eve and Peabody is a hoot! I don't think anyone can talk back to Eve the way Deliah can *g*.
    And what continues to fascinate me and keep me coming back for more is the growth and change we see in these characters - Eve in particular. Unlike some long running series with the same characters where they basically stay the same, the people in the In Death books grow. I love that about this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a review for Conspiracy in Death a day or so ago...

    I agree with Kristie's comment completely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second to that. It's like Robb is gardening - the plants continue to grow day by day. Lori I've that post too even if I was a bit afraid it will spoil my future reading. But nope - the review is well written as usual with in depth analysis. I like that in a review. really.

    ReplyDelete