Monday, January 25, 2010

Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb (with bonus Quiz)

Published in Paperback: July 1, 1996


The "Immortal in Death" is a story about ambitious individuals who would do everything to get what they want even if it means breaking the law, ending someone else’s life, or even sacrificing their own lives. Then there is also our very own Lieutenant Eve Dallas who would do everything to stop them and bring them to justice.

J.D. Robb provides a gripping plot with emphasis on friendship intertwined between characters. As a very close friend to Mavis, Eve must find a way to prove her friend’s innocence. Here I find the importance of keeping trust and honesty between friends (Eve + Mavis) as well as between lovers (Eve + Roarke). Establishing a new friendship between Eve and Peabody is also an integral part of the story as Eve provides Peabody the chance to learn from her expertise in solving a murder case. Fixing a broken friendship is also a goal for Commander Whitney while Mavis fights her unconditional love for Leonardo.

What I love about this book aside from the Eve+Roarke romance is how I get to know more about Eve’s past when her horrible childhood memories are revealed. Flipping through the pages I can see in her eyes the sadness and pain her life is going through – so sad it squeezes my heart and leaves me with tears. Robb not only a master storyteller but also has the magic touch for painting believable sentiments, emotional tragedy and then grabs your full attention on a slam dunk at the end.

* * * * * *

Here's a bonus quiz for all "In Death" followers - a good refresher on this book. What's the price for getting a perfect score? Your pride ;-)

10 comments:

  1. Yes, Yes, YES! Another phenomenal post, Natalie. I just pulled out Ceremony In Death this morning. As I said in my original challenge post, I read the first four books two years ago... but you are refreshing my memory perfectly on why I loved these books. I think I'm just going to wait until you post something for Ceremony In Death and then just say, "What Natalie says." for my own post. LOL!

    I'm going to start Ceremony In Death tonight, but only AFTER my youngest goes to bed so she doesn't see me reading something other than Harry Potter. ;)

    Okay, now I'll take the quiz. ... uh oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That didn't get recorded anywhere, did it? I shamefully got a 6 out of 10. But in my defense, two of them I second guessed myself and my first response was the correct one. Darn. ;p

    That was fun. Did you make the quiz yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine, thanks. But wait up for me. Read slower okey? I'm still going to start with Rapture in Death before I start the Ceremony. LOL. Funny you have to sneak in your Robb's in favor of Rowling's after your kid goes to sleep. Really funny Christine! I imagine you doing a catwalk when grabbing the "Ceremony" from the shelves then hide yourself under the covers so no one could see you reading. Haha. What a lovely funny memories I have of that back in grade school.

    Regarding the quiz - I was testing this new application I found from proprofs website. But I created the questions and multiple choices myself trying not to show any spoilers. And yes your score is recorded. LOL. But 6 out of 10 is not bad at all for a 2 year memory. Thanks for braving out and taking the quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid to take the quiz. I'm awful at remembering details - great at remembering feelings. Your posts invoke the feelings of the books - that's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori. I'm sure you'll remember some details of the story but of course you don't have to take the quiz. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For an avid Eve and Roark fan I did terrible on the quiz, but that book was a long time ago! Just got Kindred In Death to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nise, Well considering the amount of novels you read, definitely you will not retain everything. We read fiction because we enjoy it but when we're done we put it aside and move on. Unlike a text book where we study and memorize them. Thanks for taking the quiz though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Nise? How does it feel reaching the very last of the series after all these years? - must be gooooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that I kept current in the series! Two more will be released this year Fantasy In Death and Indulgence In Death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously? how is she doing all these? Robb (Roberts) is like a Robot - a programmed Droid - to write and spread the In Death.. I think she's an ALIEN.

    ReplyDelete