Monday, January 18, 2010

Glory in Death by J.D. Robb


So I have already established my fascination in Robb’s style of writing on my previous post – the way she grabs my full attention and the balance of suspense she used to keep my head spinning with excitement. On this post, I would like to establish why the need to continue on such fascination, reading the “Glory in Death”.

“The dead were her business. She lived with them, worked with them, studied them. She dreamed of them. And because that didn’t seem to be enough, in some deep, secret chamber of her heart, she mourned for them.”

The opening paragraph is sufficient enough to locate a relaxing place to sit on and prepare to stretch the time as I travel through the world of mystery. I could not help but compare this to the first book of the series – “Naked in Death”. The fundamental of both stories is about the search for justice but “Naked” is about a scandalous murder where victims are killed naked in bed using a gun while “Glory” involves ambition with successful and well-known victims murdered in brutal manner using a knife. In this novel I find familiar characters I have grown to love from the previous novel as well as new names I find crucial to the story.

“Glory in Death” is a continuation of the “Naked in Death” but is focused on different crime investigation using futuristic police procedural and the equipment used during the investigation. The exposure of programmed droids serving as a bartender, security guard, camera operator, and domestic helper made me think of Star Wars and the logo of Android Wireless Development by Google. In my mind I picture robots everywhere, here and there serving while making me feel like a princess. And then turns me into a dependent mogul to the machines at large.

But let me tell you this – reading the book is like an addiction – the more I fight it the worst I become. I think of my now favorite couple – Roarke and Eve fighting against their feelings only they fell on each other’s arm once again. This is the first time I hear Eve surrender emotional feelings to Roarke. Feel it when she utters the words of the heart – “Don’t go away”, “I need you. I can’t help it. I don’t want to.” Eve drew in a shuddering breath. “I love you.” And let it out. “God.”

Intimacy is what this is all about and it is very touching right?

Wait until you get to the end when J.D. Robb mesmerized me to start on reading the first chapter of the 3rd book in the series – “Immortal in Death”, when Roarke finally told Eve (not asked but told) the very important words in the middle of Central Park…

“I want you to marry me.”
STOP. Close your eyes and revisit the magic of the moment.

Isn’t it amazing? C’mon read with me on the next book. If you have read it, then reread it again and together we will fly through the adventures Robb has brought in to our lives.

5 comments:

  1. Look at you go, Natalie! I am loving your posts on this series. You are going right to the heart of why so many readers just devour these books. The author knows just how to pull you into this complex relationship between Eve and Roarke. The secondary characters and all of the inter-relationships are so fascinating as well, don't you think? I mean, Eve and Roarke steal the show, but there's a lot to be said about other regular characters, too. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine.You're right about the secondary characters, they were also important to the story. Nadine is one of them and I hope to see more of her media coverages in the future. Feeney on the other hand a comp-genius who recently visited his folks here in New Jersey (according to the book ofcourse) - I wonder if he'll ever develop romantic feelings for Eve later on? Oh and I thought Summerset the butler was going to hook up with the bestfriend Mavis. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you are making me really look forward to re-reading this series. I'm looking forward to reliving Roarke and Eve falling in love. Yes, they are one of my favorite couples too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so much ahead of you! Eve and Roarke are so good together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My my....this excitement is soooo insane! I better stop blogging and commenting now so I can come back to the 3rd book.

    ReplyDelete