Friday, January 22, 2010

Speaking of blog and others



A friend of mine once asked me an appalling question. In his rise and fall curious tone of voice he probed “Why do you waste time on blogging, reading someone else’s views, and then comments to their posts?” With a bursting knowledge that he is into his daily status with Facebook I find him the worst tease ever, so I smirked and said “Same thing with you and your Facebook!” , before I turned my back away.

I must have been direct to the point but it was not entirely far-reaching. There was more to that line – words remained unspoken because I felt unobligated to explain and because I was not in the mood for mockery. Well, that ends now. Let me share my thoughts on this topic…

Blogging is a sort of diversion from the real world where I find very relaxing – it takes away that piercing pain of exhaustion (good pain though) I feel after a long day of work and a momentary break to the gym. Blogging provokes my sense of curiosity in cyber world, lingering thoughts I wanted to share but couldn’t express vocally, or the fact that book blogging provides me time to write and share my thoughts about a certain book I read. Reading novels is like eating my favorite Godiva chocolate – because it tastes so good it gives me that feeling of satisfaction. (I hear Bubba from Forest Gump saying “…like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.”, although he was obviously talking about life!). It stimulates your mind and emotions you would want to go on and on, from cover to cover, one book to another. Very addicting I must say.

I am new to book blogging and yet I already discovered a gem of thought provoking topics discussed by a wide range of bloggers (check on the comments and you'’ll know what I mean), book lovers who endlessly share their thoughts and recommendations so I would learn from them and discover great new authors loved and cherished by many. It was also like climbing into a ladder – I first found a reading challenge from “The Happily Ever After” blog through comments posted on Maggie’s journal (if my memory serves me well). Several bloggers took the challenge and the next thing I knew I was following the blogs of “A Striped Armchair”, “Books Lists Life”, “Tessa Gratton's Ever Flame”, and the rest is history. I discovered more bloggers (links you can find on my sidebar for more details) – amusing and insightful stories shared voluntarily, full of joy. Of dedication. Of courage to come forward and speak with their minds.

So why do you really blog or write journals? Share your thoughts and let me learn from you.

6 comments:

  1. blog? no time for that. but i read when i'm free co'z it gives me peace in my heart.

    xox
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog because it gives me an identity apart from my job and my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I agree reading is very peaceful and yet very exciting.

    Lisa, you have marked that special identity. I follow your blog and it makes me happy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found my way here via Google Alert, and thought I'd share, too.

    I blog for a few reasons, in order from most important to least important: 1) to connect (like this!) with readers and writers and bloggers. I want a community, and the blogging community is so varied and wild and amazing. 2) to practice a different form of writing besides fiction. Changing it up is so so so good for practice. 3) to entertain people and hope that they will support my career by also buying my books. It's something I see as part of my professional duties as a YA writer in the 21st century.

    Cheers,
    Tessa Gratton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tessa,
    I love the way you write - your blog post is both funny and entertaining. I found your blog from Maggie's journal site. We will wait for your Blood Magic next year. 'Till then keep writing and smiling because it suits you.

    Thank you again for dropping by. I'm sooooo happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been easy to smile this year! :D

    And thank you!

    ReplyDelete