Monday, April 5, 2010

It's Monday! What Are Your Reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Shiela @ book journey -- where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.

I have seen this posting several times now and I just decided to give this a try...

This past week I have read more books than I would normally do. Part of it because work was slow due to the holiday week and part of it was the eagerness of jumping into the wagon of learning and re-learning English for better reading and writing. And one other important part is that I have challenged myself to finish all my 100+ novels (ahem -- hopefully this year) I've just acquired recently from a friend -- Mariana and they were all given for free. I couldn't believe the kindness shown to me even after I carried bags of these books into my tiny bedroom and linger at the thought of reading them all. I treasure my books and having been blessed with more makes my heart leap for joy.

What I have read this past week?

Intimate Enemies by Shana Abe - I love the story and would like to post a separate blog for what I thought about the novel. Christine gave me the idea of reading this and Mariana, well she gave me this book ;-). This is my first Historical Romance (ever!) -- Unfortunately I had this crazy idea of historical being boring and a waste of time -- of course I was wrong, big time. I plan on reading more historical romance in the future and explore other authors.

Holiday in Death by J.D. Robb - The author never cease to amaze me, I still love and enjoy her books, her style of writing, her unique voice. The characters were developed, the romance between Eve and Roarke is still very intimate and the scenes were carefully crafted providing a great appeal to readers of romance and of suspense. Somehow I have my eye on Peabody and McNab -- I really feel a future romance heating up between the two. Those parts were they both hate and annoy each other stage an interesting relationship that could further be developed into romance. I feel it...it's in the air. I must continue to pay attention to their future lives and hope and pray they end up together.

Impulse by Nora Roberts - I needed to re-read this book for a future writing inspiration, particularly building the emotions between two strangers in the island as well as capturing vivid scenery of the ocean, a picturesque hills, a moment next to a cliff, a secluded olive grove, a hiatus feeling to fall for a man of wealth and power. I have loved this novel before and often times I tell myself to revisit the moments with Rebecca and Stephen -- and there I was on that Thursday night reminiscing their love story in that small island of Corfu in Greece.


Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing by Mignon Fogarty - Reading this book was an interest I could not resist. I have been following Grammar Girl's Podcasts for a while but now I own the book as a gift from a friend. It's a quick read for someone like me who crave for learning and needed serious English help.



Fiction Gallery from Gotham Writer's Workshop - This anthology book recommended from my previous teacher contains 25 short but great stories from several acknowledged masters of short fiction as Anton Chekhov, Dorothy Parker, John Cheever, and Raymond Carver as well as such acclaimed contemporary writers as Edwidge Danticat, Pam Houston, Ethan Canin, T,.C. Boyle, Jhumpa Lahiri, and ZZ Packer. If you are interested in reading short stories I think this book is worth a try.



What I plan to read this week?
...more romance...all romance in different time and world...






Wishful thinking to read them all? -- maybe...but I'll find time somehow.

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic reading week! Rachel Gibson is a favorite of my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nise, I look forward to a very interesting week ahead...I have read Gibson's See Jane Score and Lola Carlyle Reveals All and I loved them both, so I am hopeful SI would be with same intensity and fun romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some wonderful books on writing here! Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing looks good!

    Have a great week and thanks for joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey N! Glad you liked the Shana Abe... she's a good one for historical. Remember, there are still more books here ;)

    Rachel Gibson's Simply Irresistible is one of my favorite of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you go! I'm so glad you liked Intimate Enemies. Abe is a very solid writer. I don't think I've read anything average by her. I have a whole bunch of her other works on my shelves. Some read... some unread. As usual. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila, thanks for the comment. That Grammar Girl book was a fun and easy to read -- definitely a good reference. Have a great week to you too!

    M for Mariana, Yes Yes Shana is now one of my favs. And it was in deed a good introduction for me to the world of Historical. Thanks for the book again.

    C for Christine, thanks for the recommendation as always. I got another book from M (The Promise of Rain) -- I'll start on that sometime next week. See yah...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the post on my blog, Natalie! Glad you're a part of Sheila's Monday Reading meme. I've actually never read any of JD Robb but so many people enjoy the books I'll have to grab a few from the library. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Runnersami, I promise you will not regret reading the In Death Series. If you feel like it, you can also join Christine's In Death Challenge for fun @ http://theromanticlife.blogspot.com/2009/11/in-death-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete