Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lover Eternal and Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

*      *       *       *       *
After a surprise introduction to the world and the black dagger brotherhood created by J.R. Ward through the first book in the series the “Dark Lover”, I did not waste time of moving on. I acquired the other five books and started reading the next two novels.

Lover Eternal, originally published in 2006 is about Rhage’s story – the vampire with the strongest appetite within the brotherhood, the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover – for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage’s protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage’s intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves…

What I like about this novel is the imperfections of Rhage as a vampire warrior and Mary as a human that makes them both perfect for each other – an impeccable reminder of the Beauty and the Beast classic tale of love. As the name implies Rhage has so much rage in him – uncontrollable temper causing him to change into a deadly beast. But when Mary (a human) comes into his vampiric life Rhage’s beast is tamed under Mary’s voice and passion. Plenty of emotions are involved in the story I feel attached to what Mary is going through first as human scared of Rhage, then as a woman falling in love for Rhage. I even like this novel better than the first and read it much quicker. The paperback novel’s 440+ pages is definitely not to be alarmed for as it could definitely turns out into a quick and smooth read. There were many intimate moments but don’t let it fool you as well because the plot of the story is very strong and entertaining it’ll hook you right through its first page. And the title is also obvious I am sure it’ll make the story eternal in my head for a very long time.

Lover Awakened, the 3rd book in the series also published in 2006 is Zsadisht’s story – the former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…

Who would think I would read this book the night after spending with Lover Eternal. Crazy alright! – But inconvenient time couldn’t stop me from getting to know Zsadist and feeling sorry for his past. In this book the author (Ward) has victoriously made me pity for Z to the extent that I wouldn’t mind at all if how many Lessers he’d kill so just he’d feel relieved. Although there were several times I wanted to punch his face for pushing Bella away from him. Thank goodness for Bella’s persistent on her love for Z, it all turned out picture-perfect in the end. There is definitely a sadistic and animalistic way of portraying Zsadist as the main character but I kind of like him raw and stubborn – it drives the unconditional love of Bella for him and awakens Zsadist from a long nightmare of his past. There is a happy ending after all.

7 comments:

  1. I have seen this series here and there. Your enthusaiasm for them has made me want to read them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nise you will not regret every minute of it. Atleast until the 3rd book. Not sure about the 4th yet but I'm sure will let yah know ;-) Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, I'm so glad you're enjoying these. They're addictive, aren't they? So, which of these two books did you like best so far? And who is your favorite character to this point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Hils, they definitely are very addicting and the characters were lovable -- I wasn't scared at all!. Honestly I liked all these books but if I were to choose I'd pick Rhage's story. I like the beast coming out of him or the inner dragon. I also hated Rhage when Mary was hurting but then I quickly erased that ugly feeling when how desperate Rhage's love for Mary, he'll sacrifice everything for her. The love and hate relationship I had with the characters make me want to read this book over and over again...Isn't that crazy?

    How about you? Who's your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're enjoying this series, Natalie. I just *knew* you'd find these books strangely addictive. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, Rhage and Mary were a lovely couple. :) Well, from the first three books, I seem to remember that my favorite book was Lover Awakened (Z and Bella) -- Z was such a super/uber/tortured angsty hero, lol! But, I read this series out of sequence and began by reading Lover Revealed (Book 4 - Butch), soooo, that one was & has always been special for me. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup Christine, it was very addictive and you are to blame for it!!!

    Hils, I'll get back to you after I finished LR and tell you that I love it too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete