Sunday, March 14, 2010

In Which I Finished Them All

Regardless of my demanding priorities and poor time management on my schedules lately I managed to read several novels I’ve been meaning to indulge myself into reading for quiet sometime now. I also realized my best reading hours fall into the time nearing midnight up to the wee hours in which I find it relaxing and more indulging. Here’s the list of what I’ve read so far in no particular order:

LAMENT (the faerie Queen’s deception) by Maggie Stiefvater

The story is about a 16-year old Deirdre Monaghan, a gifted harpist who can see faeries, hear their thoughts, possess certain magical abilities. Then she met Luke who happens to be another gifted musician in a mysterious way and later Dee finds out his connection to the Faerie Queen in which the intensity of her life’s adventure begins. What I love about this book is how the author convinces me to continue on reading after chapter one. It is the part that captures my interest in music through the lyrical words and the emotional tension Dee is experiencing on the stage together with Luke. The scenery and expressions are very touching I could almost hear them sing and play their instruments. I think that this novel is not only suitable for young adults but also for any other adults whose lives are touched not only by faerie stories but also by music of new age. If not for the recommendation of Christine and for loaning this book to me I would have not been able to experience the chance of such vibrant pleasure with the faeries. Thank you.

SOMETHING ABOUT YOU by Julie James

After reading James’ two previous novels – Just the Sexiest Man Alive and Practice Makes Perfect I had been excited waiting for her third and promising novel “Something About You” – so that early Tuesday morning I was ecstatic to get my hands on this novel at BN. And you know what? It was worth the trip because I loved it! The story is about two sworn enemies – a female lawyer Attorney Cameron Lynde and an FBI agent Jack Pallas when their paths met once again during a crime scene. The tension between the two characters is what makes the plot interesting in itself. Of course there’s always that sexual awareness and tension between the two but James has mastered her skills in creating a flirtatious scene into a masterpiece that pulls you all the way to the end of the story. The dialogues are hard to miss and the sophisticated romance it creates is memorable even after you move on to another book.

Lead Me On by Victoria Dahl

The story is about Jane Morgan who maintains a respectable yet boring life as an office manager trying to hide a rough childhood. Then she met William Chase and thus the romance begins – Chase with his tattoo-covered biceps and steel-toed boots reminds her of the past and pulls her into a fantasy-filled moments. There are many sexy-raw-steamy scenes in this novel in which the author could magnetize the reader into... – just like Her leading you on…If you’re not afraid of that kind of magnetic stuff then you should read the novel and see it for yourself.




WAKE by Lisa McMann

The very first novel I’ve read from this author got me into thinking of a dream catcher story by Stephen King or of the TV show “Medium”. It’s nothing like that actually as this young adult novel is about a seventeen-year old Janie getting sucked into other people’s dreams. And those strange moments could happen anytime anywhere she’s close to someone dreaming – like literary asleep dreaming. Some of those dreams haunt her when she met Cabel and became a participant in his dreams. Honestly, the young voice in the story sound believable to me even if the story is fictional and I think it’s because of how the author presents the story in present time – moment by moment events like you’re closely hearing the tic tac sound of a timer. The scenes are vivid it pulls the reader right into the mind of the characters. This book is first in the series and I just also got the Fade the second book. I look forward reading it. Thank you sister Diane for introducing me to McMann! (and Let's go Yankees...)

DARK LOVER by J.R. Ward

The last but not the least of my pleasurable moments is a Dark Lover the first in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I know, I’m so behind with this but it doesn’t matter at all as it wouldn’t take me long to catch up. This is because the novel about vampire story (although the theme has been used and overused for quite awhile) somehow brings unique and fresh thrill into an edgy and entertaining romance between Wrath the leader of the brotherhood and Beth Randall half-human-half-vampire. The sexual tension between the two is the important ingredient in the story filled with trust and love between brotherhood and how they survive against their slayers. What I like about this novel is Ward’s powerful voice injected into the story – its believable dialogues, vivid scenes and dangerous passion between Wrath and Beth. The novel is written in third person but I could see and feel right through each character’s mind and emotion. I also think that the conflict between vampires and slayers as well as between the brotherhood and Wrath are just icing on the cake because the love between our hero and his heroine is what the makes the story a bloody thrill and mesmirizing romance. This book was also loaned to me by Christine – I owe you a lot girl. Thanks.

SO what's next for me in bookblogging? I plan to switch into reading Scifi novel by Ann Aguirre starting with her first in the series “Grimspace” while continuing into the In Death Series by my very own favorite author – J.D. Robb – starting with Holiday in Death. This time I plan to concentrate into hearing the audio book alone I’ve recently borrowed from another friend. You know who you are – thank you.


XoXo,
Natalie

9 comments:

  1. That's a lot of reading. I've got Lament on my TBR list. It is always a temptation for me to read in those wee hours too, but it is to hard on this old body! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all those books!!!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed LAMENT. I thought the writing was so poetic, but at the same time, really down to earth. I don't know how the author did it, but she did.

    So glad you liked the two contemps by James and Dahl. I've read one other book by James and really had fun with it, so I hope to read this one. Dahl I've never read, but her books do look fun, too!

    My library has the McMann books, so I may get to them eventually.

    So you read DARK LOVER and wasn't scared off? LOL. The series is quite over the top in ridiculousness when you look at it from the outside, but man, does Ward suck you in, huh?

    I just started reading HOLIDAY IN DEATH but I also borrowed a whole bunch of YA from my library, so I'll get to those, too. Plus I need to read an historical romance for one of my challenges this month. Lots of pages to cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The James and the Dahl are both on my "Gotta Read" list. I'm happy to hear they live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird I thought I posted my reply on the comments before, I guess that didn't went through.

    Nise, I didn't hear anything about old body. hehe. Nah, i just think that there are different times we prefer to read, just so happend that lately I have a problem sleeping. So I seek an escape with fantasies and fiction romance. Becase in such world I find peace.

    Christine -- thanks again for showing me into the Brotherhood's world, I am already hooked. I hope you've finished Holiday in Death, I look forward for your thoughts regarding the story.

    Lisa, I really liked James and wouldn't think twice for her next book, thought unfortunately I have to wait for another year of her next publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review of Lament. I've read Shiver and am waiting for the release of Linger, but haven't read any of Stiefvater's other books. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, Lament was such a great read! I also enjoyed the Julie James book. :) Look at you go... Can't wait to hear our thoughts on Grimspace! Love, love Jax. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books on your list!

    Wake looks like something I would love.

    I have had Lament on my To-Be-Read list ever since I read Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, which you really should read if you like Maggie's writing (not to mention she is super friendly!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored Julie James book, Something about You. It was such a great way to spend a few hours. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it as well.

    I haven't read any of the other books but reading this post has made me want to. Great reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Runner Sami, I actually started Shiver and loved it so dearly. The story was fresh and young and lovable. I'm counting the days 'till linger is out...very exciting right?

    Hils, Grimspace? Oh yeah I'm nearing the end. I love it so far.

    Alison, I recently saw Maggie and took tons of pictures. She's very friendly indeed and smiles a lot! Yes I loved Shiver and read it before I got myself into the blogging world ;-)

    Rowena, I also love Julie James' books. Her characters are enjoyable, inspiring and intellectual. I like to read inspring books like these with characters successful in their careers because it inspires me to be successful in my profession too. It gives me hope and satisfaction knowing there's hope out there...somewhere...And when I was a child my dream was to become a lawyer. It stayed in my dreams but stories by JJ makes that dream feel alive in me...

    Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete