Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb

*      *      *      *       *      
Ceremony in Death is a mystery novel about Lieutenant Eve Dallas working on a top-secret investigation on a death of a fellow police officer that had compromised her personal loyalties. The death is followed by several murders linking to cults and old religious practices, which confront Eve’s own beliefs of right and wrong.

I have to admit the emotional upheaval I went through while reading this novel - that in a good way though. Mostly because I am convinced of the awful evil-like-act of sex and slaughtering of human lives injected into the main plot. The scenes are vividly gruesome – full of blood and dark forces (boo!) to experience few wakeful nights contemplating what comes next. However I do not believe this as a distraction nor an obstacle in reading the novel. Furthermore, I do not believe it was black magic or witchcraft the ultimate reasons for such terrifying moments, but rather the writings of J.D. Robb continuously prove powerful as ever in creating believable suspense and overpowering sexy scenes through the magic of her words. With that being said it becomes obvious to me that this novel is a mystery first and the romance is only a secondary part of the story. The intensified romance between Eve and Roarke is as always appetizing and fulfilling with the added colorful twists shared by other characters - but the main goal is for Eve to face death and find justice. So with all honesty if you have the stomach to stand before the dead - then this novel is rightfully yours to explore.

I have read the first four books in the series (from the very beginning) and I now believe the beauty of taking it all in gradually with light paces in between – savoring moments by moments without any pressure of finishing the book at once is an ultimate satisfaction I have acquired. Of course one cannot help if the novel is hard to put down the only choice left is to finish the novel in a very short time, which occurred to me previously.

Despite other great books I have recently read I remain a new and faithful follower of J.D. Robb (a.k.a. Nora Roberts) and will surely continue on exploring the next book in the series: Vengeance in Death.  I also recommend checking out Christine’s previous review of Ceremony in Death – which I am sure my friend will get you hooked into reading this novel if you have not yet indulge your precious time with Robb.

SO what are you waiting for? 

7 comments:

  1. The interludes of Eve and Roake also help break up the intenseness of her working the murders. I am just about finished with Kindred in Death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of only a very few of this series I haven't reread recently. I really must fix that!! Is this thee one with young Jamie in it? If it is, just so you know, he makes a few more appearances in upcoming books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nise,
    I agree with the unconditional love between Eve and Roarke - it's very delicious. But wow you're almost done with Kindred. I wonder if I'll ever get to read that book this year.

    Kristie,
    Yes this is when young Jamie appears. Now I know there's going to be more of him and that is very exciting. He's like the brain of a young Roarke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great In Death book review, Natalie! I just knew you were gonna pass me with this series. I haven't started reading Vengeance In Death yet, but hear it is a favorite among many fans. Did you start it yet?

    Kristie, I'm so happy to hear that Jamie makes more appearances in the series. I think nath mentioned it to me the other day, too. I really liked him and loved the way he both rattled and endeared BOTH Eve and Roarke! Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without saying too much about Jamie - as I go on to do so, there is a charming tug of war over him in future books. He (and Eve) want him to be a copy whereas Roarke wants him to work for him. He is becoming a fairly re-occuring character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine, I was in the middle of Chapter 3 for Vengeance in Death when I decided to switch reading on The Next Best Thing just so I can be on the softer - mellow side of my emotions during valentines weekend getaway. Tomorrow I'm getting back to it and targeting to finish this week. I have a feeling this novel is going to be more exciting! When are you going to start with Vengeance? Robb's novels are so irresistible it's hard not to think about reading.

    Hi Kristie, You're getting me too excited. I can't wait to see more of young Jamie. I hope he won't be one of the bad guys later. Such a talent would be a waste if not used wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll probably start Vengeance in Death next week. I want to get through Steamed first and I'm struggling a bit with it. Why I feel like I have to follow through with this book, I'm not sure. LOL

    ReplyDelete