Saturday, March 5, 2011

Drinking Naked while Listening to the Sound of Silence


I was working last night and woke up late this morning. I opened my eyes and realized for the first time I didn’t know what to do on a bright Saturday morning. I dragged myself out of bed, went down stairs, and grabbed the first thing I saw from the fridge – a bottle of green machine called Naked, a blended juice smoothie. I squinted against the light shining bright from my kitchen window. It seemed lovely outside, I thought.


Then without a set of direction I headed to the living room and slumped down the couch. I was never a huge living room type of person because I was more of a bedroom person. I did all my work and leisure time in the privacy of my own room.


The smoothie tasted more like a juice to me, mixed with apples, banana, pineapple, and mango flavors and coupled with a hint of vegetables, I didn’t recognize the specifics. I peaked at the list of ingredients and it elaborated about ten different green vegetables. Some of them I didn’t even know. The expiration date reads Mar 08 11. Good enough for me and I took another gulp from the plastic bottle.


What am I doing here? I should go back upstairs and finish my requirements and test plans for my upcoming project. I shouldn’t be wasting time. But then I stayed unmoved and sucked in a deep breath. I told myself that work will just gonna have to wait.


I really liked the feel of the pillows smooched against my back, eyes closed and breathing controlled. Quiet, I thought at first. But then I started hearing different sounds I never paid much attention in my eight years of residency in this house. The tick-tock-tick-tock sound of the wall clock my cousins gave us last Christmas annoyed me at first. Then I heard the momentary screeching of the tires and the motorbike across the street boomed and roared like a drum intro of a heavy metal song. Another car passed by and this time it felt like the tires just slowly rolled on the asphalt, I couldn’t describe the sound but to me it felt like light strums on a bass guitar. Was the car keeping under speed limit? I didn’t hear any music but the cadence of the venetian blind tapping against the glass window and the once in a while click-clack of the kitchen’s exhaust captured my senses. Once or twice I heard a sound of a plane high above me, like a thunder passing in slow motion. The fan of my computer slightly hummed. Combining these sounds made me feel like someone conducting an orchestra; the rhythmic sound playing in my ear swayed me and moved me to a place I’ve never been before.


Then out of the blue everything else muted except the ringing tone of my phone suddenly k-e-r-r-e-n-g-e-d next to me. Encore, maybe? I forced my eyes to open up so I could check the Caller ID. The incoming call showing an 8YY number was just a disturbance of my peace – Telemarketer!


I better get back to work…






2 comments:

  1. Ahhh Natalie! Thanks for sharing your lovely moment of peace and quiet. Why don't they just let you have one more minute?

    It sounds as if you're so busy and stressed. I hope you're doing well and that you DO get enough of those moments. They're important. :)

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilcia,
    I've been trying to work around my busy schedule and once in a while close my eyes and dream of paradise. Hope all is well with you.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete