Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bisdak in Technology Reminders #1: Power Button

Power button icon from
Mysitemyway ETC Network



Remember the magic power of the power button?

Recently I purchased a HP Wireless printer and went through the excitement of going through all the steps of the installation. Well, I thought I did all I'm supposed to do. Much to my chagrin, I was stuck in configuring the wireless network part. The installation in my computer failed because it could not detect the printer. I re-installed the HP software that came with the box, went back and forth from the computer to the printer to enter the encryption code, checked the router's settings, reboot my computer. Nothing. I made sure I had the wireless light on and that I had enough signal strength and rebooted the printer again. Nothing. What went wrong?

I failed to read the HP Guide.

Basic troubleshooting #3 according to HP's guide is to Restart components of the wireless network. Although I restarted the printer and the computer, I failed to restart the router.

Here is what HP provided in clear details:
Turn off the router and the HP device, and then turn them back on in this order: router first, and then the HP device. If you still are unable to connect, turn off the router, HP device, and your computer, and then turn them back on in this order: router first, then the HP device, and finally the computer. Sometimes, turning off the power and then turn it back on will recover a network communication issue.

2 comments:

  1. At least you had it plugged it. That's what I would have neglected to do.

    I totally rely on my husband to take care off all this kind of stuff. It's how he earns his keep. LOL! j/k

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I was once a victim of it and never again. I'm probably paranoid by now checking connections first before turning on any devices. seriously...

    ReplyDelete